West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 29th September 2019

WKSFL Cups were the priority of the day. Heavy rain did cause the postponement of some matches but the majority took place as scheduled.

WKSFL Senior Cup

In Group A,  Artois United overcame Insulators 4-0 to move to the top of the table, if that means anything with only one game played by some teams and none yet for others! Peter Shaw,  Stefan Draper, George Rogers and Phil Abbott were Artois scorers in a game which for Insulators was a much more competitive affair after their heavy defeat a couple of weeks ago. Artois were two goals up very quickly and it was 3-0 by half time, but Insulators were battling to get back into the game. They had a good second half with only one more goal being conceded. It was a battling performance by Insulators, with pride restored and the players putting in a real shift.

The match between Pembury Sunday and Green Lane was one to fall foul of the weather.

Likewise in Group B, some teams have yet to start. Simla are top after the one game, having beaten Cassidy's Phoenix 6-1. There was a shock start to the game. In the first minute, a back-pass from Simla's midfield to the ´keeper went out of play, leading to a corner from which Ben Boodle put Cassidy's in front. Brad Austin equalised for Simla a minute later and made it two shortly afterwards. The rest of the first half was fairly even, with Simla having the better opportunities.

The second half was different, with Simla taking control and not allowing Cassidy's many chances to threaten.  Simla scored four in the second period, firstly through Ian Parsons, them Matt Coleman before Brad Austin scored his third. Matt Crompton wrapped things up for Simla late on.

Petts Wood Old Boys and Charcott were unable to play.

WKSFL Junior  Cup

The Junior Cup is further along the way.  Sunday's games saw both Hawkhurst United and Yalding & Laddingford pick up their first wins of the season. Yalding scored five at Tonbridge Origin.

Yalding came into this game off the back of two bad defeats, including a trouncing two weeks ago by the same side in a League match. Three withdrawals with Saturday injuries didn't help. which meant a new central defensive partnership of the Faulkner brothers, James and Alex. The first half was fairly even although Yalding went into the interval 2-1 ahead with goals from James Faulkner and Liam Chapman. Louis Quinton had scored for Origin. The crucial part of the game came at 1 - 1 with a terrific  penalty save by the Yalding keeper', Brad Needham.

The opening 25 minutes of the second half was all Yalding. They increased their lead with a second goal from James Faulkner and one from Billy Dunn. and the game was seemingly put to bed. But then the sin-binning of two Yalding players by referee Freddie Young gave Origin the chance to get back into the game,  which they did by scoring twice, Danny Clarke and Richard Williamson scoring. But in their efforts to get the equaliser they left space for Chapman to score his second. Final score 5-3 to Yalding.

There was also victory for Ticehurst Village at home to Brenchley, the goals coming from from Darren Nicol (2) and Jason Marsh. The win puts them top of the table in the Junior Cup group stage. Mike Williams replied for the visitors, who are enduring a tough start to the season.

Sam Minter-Frier scored his first for Insulators Reserves in their 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Hawkhurst United.

TW Ridgewaye Reserves could not raise a team for their game at Goudhurst.

Paddock Wood, who were not scheduled to play, remain second.

Division One

A late addition to the fixture list was the game between St John's Yard and Armada. Armada came out on top 5-1,  taking control in the second half. St John's Yard played well in the first half but wilted in the second. with the goals by Harry Tampsett 2, Scott Amos, Jimmy Denman and Will Ashenden. The Yard's consolation was marked by James Humphrey.

West Kent Sunday League Division One 
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Green Lane 4 3 0 1 21 12 9 9
2 Insulators + 3 2 0 1 11 18 -7 9
3 Armada + 3 1 1 1 7 4 3 7
4 Simla 2 1 1 0 7 2 5 4
5 Artois United $ 2 2 0 0 18 2 16 3
6 Saint John's Yard 4 1 0 3 8 18 -10 3
7 Pembury Sunday 2 0 1 1 3 6 -3 1
8 Cassidy's Phoenix 3 0 1 2 8 12 -4 1
9 Petts Wood Old Boys $ 3 1 0 2 6 15 -9 0

+ three points awarded  $ three points deducted

Division Two

Just the one game took place.  The two pace-setters, Charcott and Royal Oak, met at Tonbridge Farm so someone's perfect start to the season had to end. Royal Oak took the opportunity of their first away match to parade a new kit, provided by the generosity of the clubs two main sponsors. Much of the pre match warm-up was taken up adapting to "New Slippy Sock Syndrome". Once the match kicked off, Royal Oak came out of the blocks fast, with two early goals. The first was by Ash Bell, who rounded the ´keeper and the second from Joe Rutland with a low hard shot from the edge of the penalty area. The Oak were two nil up at half time, before a resurgence from the visitors for whom Ben Ailles pulled one back. The two goal lead was restored when Dan Lazell's cross found its way into the top right hand corner of the goal. Charcott responded, with Ailles scoring his second to set up an intense final few minutes. The Oak held off the pressure to win 3-2 it what had been a very closely contested game.

Much debate after the game about Lazell's goal as to whether it was a cross or a shot. In the end it was decided to call it a 'croot'.

Royal Oak are now top of the table with three wins from three matches.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 29th September
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Royal Oak 3 3 0 0 13 5 8 9
2 Charcott 4 3 0 1 10 6 4 9
3 Dormansland Rockets 2 2 0 0 12 2 10 6
4 FC Grinstead 3 2 0 1 10 7 3 6
5 TW Ridgewaye 2 1 0 1 5 4 1 3
6 Biggin Hill JFC 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
7 AFC Valour 3 0 0 3 4 8 -4 0
8 Artois United Reserves 2 0 0 2 1 7 -6 0
9 Speldhurst Rangers 2 0 0 2 4 19 -15 0

back to the reports index

Back to the main page