West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 27th October 2019

For the second Sunday running rain, the curse of Sunday morning football, struck to wash out several matches although it wasn't as bad as last week. The Paddock Wood and Tunbridge Wells pitches (as usual) saw most of the postponements.

Kent Sunday Junior Trophy

After two successive postponements at their own ground in Ashford, Ashford Cavaliers agreed to a switch for their tie with Tonbridge Origin. On their home ground, Origin recorded a 5-2 win with Jonny Barber and Harry Bourne each scoring twice, Duncan Ibottson the other. An early strike by Paul Mabb and a late goal by Ben Harding was Cavaliers response.

The other tie, between TW Ridgewaye and Singleton Barn, was one of the games called off. They will try again next Sunday.

WKSFL Senior Cup

Two of the scheduled games in Group A were called off, but conditions in Southborough were good for the game between Armada and Dormansland Rockets. Unusually for Rockets, who had scored twenty-six goals in their previous four games, this very tight game was decided in their favour by a single goal. That was scored by Jamie Ashley early in the second half. Louis Stone kept his team's first clean sheet of the season.

In Group B, Cassidy's Phoenix consolidated their top of the table position with a big win at AFC Valour. It was 8-1 in favour of the Phoenix with the league's current top goalscorer Ben Boodle netting a hat-trick. On the scoresheet twice were Rob Harman and Adam Reavely. A penalty converted by Josh Ennis rounded off the goals. Valour's consolation was scored by Paul Shuffle-Botham. Valour's problems seem to be at both ends of the field. In seven games so far this season in all competitions, they have scored only seven goals and conceded twenty-three. They have yet to avoid defeat.

In the other game in Group B, Royal Oak travelled up to Westcombe Park to face Division One side Petts Wood Old Boys.

Despite a few evening plans finishing early with the surprise ‘game on’ text at 9:45 the night before, spirits were high going into the game. The sun was shining, the pitch looked good, and after a few pre-match comments, Royal Oak were ready for the game, keen to deliver levels of drama similar to that of the 1941 classic Citizen Kane. [It's a film for those unaware!]
After a quick start to the game, Royal Oak took the lead with a Dan Lazell corner finding a towering Jeff Harrison, heading in top bins to give Royal Oak an early 1-0 lead. A number of chances went amiss in the first half from Royal Oak, with the Petts Wood woodwork being hit three times. Natt Paine hit the post twice with one shot somehow staying out. Petts Wood rarely threatened in the first half, with the Royal Oak defence looking strong and keeping any potential threats at bay. The highlight of the final twenty minutes of the first half being a marauding run from Sam Girt from DM to right wing. He caned it down the wing past a couple of Petts Wood players and put in a superb cross, inches away from being tapped in at the far post. The first half finished 1-0.

It was two goals in quick succession early in the second half for Royal Oak that ensured momentum was well and truly with the away team . Both came from crosses. With the finishing prowess of Harry Kane, Natt Paine and Dan Gray swept in to make it 3-0 and comfortable for Royal Oak. Petts Wood threatened more as the game went on, with a couple of shots on goal dealt with well by Royal Oak 'keeper Sam Catt - on a mission for a first clean sheet of the season. A fourth goal for Royal Oak came with a neat finish from Dan Gray, bagging himself his first brace of the season. Shortly after this, an instant goal of the season contender was struck from Michael Collins in his first Royal Oak appearance of the season. Dan Gray, looking to latch on to a through ball for his hat-trick, had the ball cleared from under his feet by the on rushing Petts Wood goalkeeper. With the ball bobbling, Collins took the ball in his stride and advancing from the half way line, with the cool, calm and collectedness often only found in a late Michael Caine film, lobbed the flailing goalkeeper from 40 yards. Sadly Collins had left his Kane wrestler mask at home, his favourite celebration accessory.

Royal Oak saw the game out and took a convincing 5-0 win against the Div 1 team back home, putting them in a strong position in the table.

WKSFL Intermediate Cup

Only one of the three ties took place, at Tonbridge Farm between Charcott and TW Ridgewaye. Charcott are enjoying a good start to the season. With the 3-1 on Sunday they secured making it seven wins from eight games so far this season. Scorers were Luke Ailles, Jay Pring and Luke French. Fabian Kommu scored for Ridgewaye, who with various postponements have played only four games thus far in all competitions.

WKSFL Junior Cup

Both games that were played were draws. Ticehurst Village Club hosted Hawkhurst United with the outcome being two-all. For the Village it was the familiar names of Darren Nicol and Leon Fisher scoring in a result that keeps them top of the table. They have though played more games than anyone else. I do not have Hawkhurst's scorers.

The other game, between Yalding & Laddingford and Insulators Reserves, ended three apiece.

On a difficult pitch (grass length not water) the game started at a frenetic pace with challenges clattering in from both sides. It took until 25 minutes before Sam Minter-Friar put Insulators into the lead from close range after good play by Tommy Beattie. The home ´keeper made a number of good saves to keep it at 0-1and just before half time a good cross from the left found Billy Dunn who scored from close range to make it 1-1 at the break.

Yalding came out for the second half on the front foot and on 52 minutes took a 2-1 lead as a bounce deceived Insulators' keeper. Within ten minutes Insulators equalised, as a free kick was met with a good header from Ben Manser. Ten minutes from the end Yalding got their reward as they pressed Insulators back and a good shot from the edge of the box made it 3-2. With just a few minutes remaining an excellent ball in from Kieron Pattenden found Ben Obbard, who took a difficult chance well. Probably a fair scoreline overall. Dunn scored twice for Yalding, Jacob Lambert the other.

Division One

Play was possible at Five Oak Green where Simla met bottom side Pembury Sunday.  Simla moved into fourth place after a six nil win in which Ian Parsons hit a hat-trick. The otehr scorers weere Matt Coleman, Matt Crompton and Alex Carey. in goal, Joe Cullip kept his third clean sheet of the season. He leads the league in that department.

As the table shows, it's very close at this early stage with only four points separating the top five and two points covering the bottom four.

West Kent Sunday League Division One 
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Armada + 4 2 1 1 12 5 7 10
2 Green Lane 4 3 0 1 21 12 9 9
3 Insulators + 4 2 0 2 12 23 -11 9
4 Simla 3 2 1 0 13 2 11 7
5 Artois United $ 3 3 0 0 25 3 22 6
6 Saint John's Yard 4 1 0 3 8 18 -10 3
7 Cassidy's Phoenix 4 0 2 2 12 16 -4 2
8 Petts Wood Old Boys $ 4 1 1 2 10 19 -9 1
9 Pembury Sunday 4 0 1 3 4 19 -15 1

+ three points awarded $ three points deducted

Divisions Two and Three

No games were scheduled.

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page