These reports are no longer published in the local press. They are not copyrighted, feel free to use providing you acknowledge the source!

West Kent Sunday League Report Sunday 22nd January 2017

Winter finally arrived in the area with a vengeance. Heavy overnight frost and the resulting frozen pitches wiped out all but two of tthe games scheduled to be played.

First of all, a correction and an apology. An error crept into the report on TW Foresters Reserves game last week.. I havecorrected this - Billy Dunn's four goals were his first of the season and thus his first hat-trick, not his fourth. Confusion reigned after that, for which I apologise.

Kent Sunday Premier Cup

Quested 7 Tonbridge Origin 0

The League's last remaning representative in any of the County Cups travelled over to Chatham to meet holders Quested. This report from Chris Gregory of Tonbridge Origin.

The longer than usual Sunday morning away day trip was always going to be tough against a quality outfit, who were the current Kent Cup Holders and who domestically had not lost for several seasons.

We arrived at Luton Rec to find a frozen pitch and not a yard of green grass in sight.  The game had been cancelled. As we prepared to go home one of the Assistant Referees came up to us and said by Kent FA rules we were required to wait until 11am for an official cancellation. At 10.30am we were told to kit up.. the match was now on.

Whilst the pitch was more like concrete and with grip hard to come by, we needed to get our game faces on. The opening ten minutes were close, with both teams trying their best to accommodate the testing conditions. In the 15th minute from a loose ball that bounced free, the Quested right winger turned swiftly and smashed an unstoppable shot in to the top corner.  Two scrappy goals followed soon after, all but ending the game as a contest. Quested were moving the ball with precision and causing all sorts of problems down the wings. We gathered ourselves and were unlucky not to score ; Jack Kinnear hit the post having gone round the keeper, and Jimmy Shepherd had a header smartly saved from a well delivered Chris Gregory freekick. Sadly, we were unable to take our chances and from two close range finishes towards the end of the half Quested had established an unassailable five goal lead. Half Time.

Following the interval we were a lot better, contesting and at times winning a lot of the first and second balls. Our passing improved and in periods were playing some nice triangles which lead to a decent tally of chances. Their keeper was called in to action, but largely their two impressive centre backs were in control of proceedings. At the other end their number 9 was causing us all sorts of trouble, linking well with their midfield, so it was not surprising when he added a sixth. Corners and freekicks were a source of our opportunities, however from our attacks Quested broke at pace and at times we were defending for our lives to keep the score down. Arguably, our best chance of the half fell to the left foot of Myles Lowden who saw his shot wonderfully saved by their keeper. With ten minutes to go their number 9 added the final goal of the game from header that bizarrely looped over Alan Page in goal.

Whilst Quested created another ten or so clear cut chances in addition to the seven they did score, it is important that we take the positives out of a tough day at the office. Our second half display was one we should take great heart from, but that 15 minute spell in the first half cost us pulling off any sort of upset. Having played 13 years worth of adult football in the WKSL there have been some great teams in my time, Gardeners Arms, Artois, Simla and Jarvis Brook, but Quested were on a whole other level. They attacked with pace and artistry (especially out wide), with decision making of the highest calibre, calmness at the back and not to mention hard work and desire on and off the ball. Yes at times we made it far too easy for them in the first half, but they were simply brilliant, and equally as ruthless on the day. We will aim to take what positives we can from our Kent Cup run, and now fully focus our efforts in the League and Senior Cup.

Division Four

The only other game played was the Tonbridge derby between Casuals and Origin Reserves on the synthetic grass of Hayesbrook School. For Casuals it was their first win in four matches, for Origin's second string this was their first defeat in five. Veteran Mark Whorlow scored twice for the hosts, Paul Edwards the third. Levi Caruana scored for the fourth game in row for the visitors. Ollie Howard scored their other one, which was his first of the season.

West Kent Sunday League Division Four including Sunday 22nd January
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 TW Foresters Reserves 12 11 0 1 63 21 42 33
2 FC Hayward 11 7 2 2 41 18 23 23
3 Insulators Reserves 12 5 3 4 35 35 0 18
4 AFC Six in One 13 5 2 6 61 49 12 17
5 FC Grinstead 9 4 3 2 30 25 5 15
6 Tonbridge Origin Reserves 11 4 3 4 35 35 0 15
7 Tonbridge Casuals 14 2 5 7 27 48 -21 11
8 TW Youth (Ridgewaye) 12 3 1 8 35 63 -28 10
9 Tonbridge United 10 1 1 8 6 39 -33 4

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page