West Kent Sunday League News Report Sunday 18th February 2018

The good news was that after two or three rain affected weeks, most games were played.

Kent Sunday Premier Cup

Artois United are in the semi-finals of the Kent Sunday Premier Cup. An outstanding 5-4 win at Rainham 84 Sunday sets up a match at Bradstow Albion. That will be a really tough one. Bradstow earlier knocked out Simla and followed that with a 5-2 quarter-final win over the  holders Quested FC. That game is booked for the 3rd March.

No report on the game has been received, so all I can tell you is that the scorers for Artois were Peter Shaw with two, while Jake Miller, Stefan Draper and Dave Ryder each scored one.

The successful Artois team pictured above.

WKSFL Senior Cup - Group 2

Crowborough Town gained a very important win in a much delayed group stage tie at Dormansland Rockets. They play Green Lane in their final game next Sunday. The equation is simple. If Town win, they will finish second in the group and qualify for the quarter finals. Should Green Lane win or the match be drawn, Green Lane would hold onto the second place and themselves go through.

At last a decent game of football on a decent pitch, said Mike Noble of Crowborough Town.

Crowborough started the game with their regular keeper away injured, one player returning from a long absence, another having played just one game for the club and, unusually, just one substitute. However, the new look team couldn't have wished for a better start when, in the first minute, a well worked move down the left saw Andy Pollard put the visitors in front. This obviously settled the team and they began to play some nice close passing football which produced chances but no goal until, with half an hour gone, came a goal that had nothing to do with good football. The Rockets' keeper came to the edge of his area to clear his lines and as the ball reached the halfway line Ollie Hyland 'passed' the ball 50 yards into the stranded keepers unguarded net. Apart from doubling the lead, it proved that power isn't always necessary to score goals, just enough to do the job and accuracy.
Half Time :  Dormansland Rockets   0  -  2   Crowborough Town
From the re-start Town continued to play some good football and it was no real surprise when, after ten minutes, Marcus Alexander scored the their third goal.
Although Rockets managed to put their own moves together, they rarely troubled the Town defence and their cause wasn't helped when a player collected a second yellow card and left the game. As the home team re-organised their line-up Andy Pollard was again in the right place at the right time to add another for the visitors following a good move down the right. Now comfortably on top, Town's George Holman pushed forward from his central defending role to score Crowborough's fifth, and in fact his own fifth goal for the club in as many games. It would have been understandable for Dormansland's heads to go down, but they continued try to get back into the game and a superb strike from the edge of the Crowborough penalty area produced an equally superb save at full stretch by George Jones. The last five minutes now produced three goals with Town adding two more, one from Ben Richardson and then Andy Pollard completing his hat-trick, before Rocket's endeavours were rewarded with a well taken consolation goal by Paul Twinn.
Full Time :    Dormansland Rockets   1  -  7   Crowborough Town


Division One

The top two both played and both won. Simla put three unanswered goals past Pembury Sunday at Five Oak Green. They started fast out of the blocks with two goals in the opening seven minutes. The first was from a Clayton Cooper header and the second from David Blundell. Pembury managed to prevent Simla scoring any more in the first half.

Pembury continued with some more good play in the second half to frustrate Simla, but the hosts eventually scored their third goal through Ian Parsons late on in the match. Joe Cullip  was  Simla's clean sheet keeper,is third of the season. Final score Simla 3  Pembury 0. The game was well refereed by Max Sollis.

Green Lane moved three points ahead of Armada with a narrow 2-1 win at home to Insulators. Insulators got off to a good start when an own goal put them into the lead. Green Lane gradually fought their way back into the game and scored twice to take a half time lead. Top scorers Tom Welch and James Donaldson shared the honours.

After the break it was the home side who had the most of the play, bringing a number of fine saves from Insulaators 'keeper Max Bridges. Insulators had a number of opportunities on the break, but it was a deserved victory for Green Lane who played well.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 18th February
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Simla 11 10 1 0 43 14 29 31
2 Green Lane 12 8 2 2 38 23 15 26
3 Armada 12 7 2 3 30 21 9 23
4 Artois United 8 5 1 2 30 14 16 16
5 Tonbridge Origin 12 4 3 5 36 31 5 15
6 Pembury Sunday 13 2 1 10 23 45 -22 7
7 Dormansland Rockets 6 2 0 4 17 21 -4 6
8 Insulators 10 1 2 7 20 40 -20 5
9 Paddock Wood 8 1 0 7 14 42 -28 3

Division Two

The first double header of the season saw Royal Oak meet FC Grinstead and gain six well needed points. Fates had conspired  to put Royal Oak so far behind with their games that several double headers are inevitable. The first 'leg' ended 2 - 0 to the Oak, with Ashley Bell and Matt Last finding the net. Sam Catt kept a clean sheet at the other end.  The second game was closer, but the Oak came off 3-2 winners, Bell scored two and Jeff Harrison added the third. Division Two's top scorer Charly Harris and Ben Randall scored for FC Grinstead.

At the bottom, Tonbridge Invicta played their first game for a month and were rewarded with a 5-2 home win against Langton Green. Neither team had won since mid November. Invicta picked up only their second League win of the season thanks to two goals from Tommy Welham, aided by single goals by Matt Cunnington, Jonny Carpenter and Cuan Walsh. Phil Teague and Richard Bishop replied for Langton Green.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 18th February
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Green Street Blues 10 8 1 1 44 17 27 25
2 Brenchley 11 6 1 4 18 24 -6 19
3 Crowborough Town 8 6 0 2 44 17 27 18
4 Cassidy's Phoenix 10 4 2 4 30 24 6 14
5 Royal Oak 4 4 0 0 12 4 8 12
6 FC Grinstead 8 3 0 5 31 18 13 9
7 Langton Green 11 2 1 8 19 50 -31 7
8 Tonbridge Invicta 10 2 1 7 23 55 -32 7
9 Goudhurst United 8 2 0 6 20 32 -12 6

Division Three

There was a full turn out of four matches in Division Three. Speldhurst Rangers were the team to sit it out and they had to watch St John's Yard go to the top of the table on goal difference and with a game in hand. A hard fought game with TW Ridgewaye ended in a 2-1 victory for the Yard. A first half goal from Richard Heath gave them the lead after Ridgewaye had the best of the first fifteen minutes of the game. Ridgewaye then made a substitution, on came Dan Thomas who promptly levelled the scores to make it 1-1 at half time.

The second half continued much the same until The yard were awarded a penalty for hand ball. Jack Veness converted the spot kick for the winning goal.

The mid table Tonbridge derby between Origin Reserves and Casuals ended with a 4-3 win for Origin Reserves. Casuals are now five games since a win, goals from Alex Hill, Adam West and Jason Carroll were not enough to overcome Origin. A hat-trick from Jonny Barber, who is now the side's top scorer and one from Ben Holder gave them the victory.

East Grinstead Mavericks hadn't won since the opening day of the season but at last three points were secured with a 3-0 victory at Insulators Reserves. This was a disappointing performance from the hosts. The first half hour was fairly even, with chances at both ends. Gradually it was East Grinstead who were getting on top and their lively forwards were creating chances. In the last seven minutes before half time they took two of those chances to lead at half time. The second half continued much the same, with the away side adding another to make the game safe. Mavericks scorers were John Jacobs and a brace from Sikhusele Nyaka. Carl Muncey kept the clean sheet.

Finally, Paddock Wood Reserves picked up another point at the bottom, holding Tonbridge United to a 1-1 draw. Billy Dunn was the Wood's scorer, Alex Underdown scored for United.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 18th February
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 St John's Yard 11 9 1 1 58 21 37 28
2 Speldhurst Rangers 12 9 1 2 51 27 24 28
3 TW Ridgewaye 11 5 3 3 38 24 14 18
4 Tonbridge Casuals 12 5 2 5 27 28 -1 17
5 Tonbridge Origin Reserves 11 5 1 5 31 27 4 16
6 Tonbridge United 10 3 1 6 23 34 -11 10
7 Insulators Reserves 10 3 0 7 16 33 -17 9
8 East Grinstead Mavericks 10 2 1 7 11 44 -33 7
9 Paddock Wood Reserves 9 1 2 6 13 30 -17 5

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page