West Kent Sunday League News Report Sunday 15th April 2018

Another full programme was possible, albeit with a couple of games being switched away from unusable pitches in Paddock Wood. Sad to report that three games were unplayed, with clubs now struggling to get players to turn up at the tail end of the season. There are a number of games awaiting Management Committee decisions on the award of points.

WKSFL Senior Cup - Semi Finals

Tonbridge Origin scored a vital away goal at Insulators to secure their place in the Final. They will meet either Green Lane or Armada, Green Lane have a three goal advantage going tinto their second leg.

Trailing by two goals from the first leg this was always going to be an uphill struggle for Insulators.  An end-to-end first half saw half chances for both sides, but it remained scoreless at half time. In the second half, Insulators began to have the better of the play and Ben Manser scored in the 73rd minute from close range. This produced a great end to the game with Insulators knowing one more would produce extra time and Origin either holding what they had or getting a goal of their own.

In the 86th minute the aggregate score equaliser came from Reece Beecroft to set up a great finish to this second game. Another good chance fell to the home side from a corner, but there was heartbreak to come for Insulators and joy for the away side as a mishit cross fell to lethal Origin striker Tom Cobb,  who netted a 93rd minute winner. With away goals counting double, the agggregate was 3-2 in favour of Origin and this meant it was game over for the remaining two minutes of added time.

Insulators can be proud of their performance and the club wish Origin the best for the final.

The First Leg tie between Green Lane and Armada was switched to Yew Tree Road. Green Lane gained an important three goal head start. They took a while to get going, chances went begging and it wasn't until shortly before half time they took the lead with a goal, created by Tom Wlech and finished by Craig Smith. Green Lane were on top for most of the second half, but several more chances went astray. Ten minutes before the final whistle, Lane brough on Josh Harris, happily recovered from a fractured tibia sustained earlier in the season.  An inspried subsitution? Harris scored twice to give his side a deseved lead at the end. In goal, Marc Yeung kept his ninth clean sheet of the season. He leads the League in that little table.

WKSFL Intermediate Cup - Semi Finals

After a number of postponements this First Leg game between Crowborough Town and FC Grinstead at last took place an a reasonably good pitch at Goldsmiths, Crowborough

Having not yet met in a league game both teams started cautiously, looking for strengths and weaknesses in their opponents, and the game was fairly even. Then, with just fifteen minutes gone, a dreadful (if rare) mistake by the Town 'keeper on the edge of his penalty area let in Grinstead's Freddie Webb, who ran the ball into an empty net. This seemed to encourage Town to greater efforts and it was just two minutes later that Luke Leppard broke away to round the Grinstead keeper and make it 1 - 1. The home side's 'greater efforts' continued with the speed of Leppard and Rob Guile causing problems for the visitors down the wings. Eventually a cross from the right by Rob Guile found Luke Leppard at the near post and he stepped over the ball to leave Darren Nicol with an easy chance at the far post. With fifteen minutes of the half to go Grinstead stepped up their efforts and they were rewarded when another error in the Town defence left Joe Moulding with room to bring the scores level.

Half Time :   Crowborough Town   2  -  2    FC Grinstead

Two 'inspired' half time substitutions by the Crowborough manager saw his team gradually get on top. However, the Grinstead keeper was equal to all their efforts on goal until a free-kick from Rob Guile found Luke Leppard in the penalty area and a push by a defender saw the referee award a penalty. The kick taken by Rob Guile at last beat the keeper to put Crowborough ahead. The home team could now smell victory and with the semi-final a two leg affair goals were important. With ten minutes left on the clock the Guile-Leppard partnership again produced the goods, this time it was a square ball from Luke Leppard that found Rob Guile and he comfortably scored his second of the game.

The other semi final was a convincing 5-1 second leg win for Cassidy's Phoenix over Tonbridge Origin Reserves to give them victory overall by an aggregate score of 6-4. Chief architect of Origin's misfortune was Ben Boodle, who climbed up the Division Two scorer's chart with a hat-trick. Rob Harman and Olie Muggeridge scored the others.  Jonny Barber scored Origin's only goal.

Division One

Simla clinched the Division One title with a 3-1 win over Paddock Wood, a game switched to Five Oak Green. This gave Simla the home advantage, as some changes had had to be made by Paddock Wood Council to ensure that a Saturday team did not play on Insulators ground as it was needed for a semi final, this meant that they could not guarantee that the pitch would withstand two fixtures.

With more players back this week, a stronger Paddock Wood side took the field, unfortunately there was no regular keeper though, but an outstanding  performance by Josh Heinricci who stepped up to the mark. There is some debate about who scored for Simla!

Simla went ahead through David Blundell (which Paddock Wood reckon was an own goal!) and then another in the first half from Matt Coleman made it comfortable 2-0 lead for Simla at half time. Paddock Wood played well in the first half but didn't create many chances to score.

In the second half Paddock Wood had a brilliant start when Simla's keeper failed to properly clear a ball coming down the middle of the pitch. This gave  Russell Breden the opportunity to simply lob the keeper to score. This inspired Paddock Wood to press further up the pitch, creating several chances to score.   It remained 2 - 1 for some considerable time, and it looked as though Paddock Wood would equalise as the ball was often around Simla's goal, but just going wide or high, they couldn't get the luck. Then against the run of play,  unfortunately for the Wood it was Simla who scored again through Kane Ramsell.  Simla's man on the touchline said that If Paddock Wood can keep this team together plus a couple more players, they should be stronger for next season.

Simla have now won the league seven times in the last ten seasons.

The game between Artois United and Dormansland Rockets was one of those which did not take place, Rockets could not raise a team for what should have been a double header at Tonbridge Farm.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 15th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Simla (C) 14 13 1 0 55 15 40 40
2 Green Lane 12 8 2 2 38 23 15 26
3 Armada 14 8 2 4 38 34 4 26
4 Tonbridge Origin 14 6 3 5 51 33 18 21
5 Artois United 9 5 1 3 30 15 15 16
6 Pembury Sunday 14 3 1 10 31 45 -14 10
7 Dormansland Rockets 8 2 0 6 22 37 -15 6
8 Insulators 10 1 2 7 20 40 -20 5
9 Paddock Wood 11 1 0 10 17 60 -43 3

Division Two

Royal Oak continued their march up the table with  a 6-1 home win over Goudhurst United. Ash Bell scored his fifth hat-trick of the season (the most by any player in the League), this was complemented by single goals from Joe Rutland, Spencer Alford and Nat Paine. Will Mantle was yet again on the score-sheet for United, his 23rd goal of the season.

Tonbridge Invicta could not raise a side to play Green Street Blues. If as expected Blues are awarded the three points, they would be ten ahead of Royal Oak, who would then have to win all of their remaining matches to have a chance of catching them. A big ask, as two of those are against Crowborough Town as a double header on 29th April preceded by another double header next week with Cassidy's Phoenix. Blues final game is away at FC Grinstead, whose priorities perhaps lie elsewhere. This one won't be played until May.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 15th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Green Street Blues 14 12 1 1 68 23 45 37
2 Royal Oak 12 10 0 2 45 21 24 30
3 Crowborough Town 9 7 0 2 46 18 28 21
4 Brenchley 13 6 1 6 21 31 -10 19
5 Cassidy's Phoenix 12 5 2 5 35 28 7 17
6 FC Grinstead 10 4 1 5 36 22 14 13
7 Goudhurst United 14 3 2 9 36 56 -20 11
8 Langton Green 16 2 2 12 25 72 -47 8
9 Tonbridge Invicta 12 2 1 9 24 65 -41 7

Division Three

Only one game took place in Division Three but it was an important one. St John's Yard moved to the top of the table with a 4-1 win at TW Ridgewaye. They are one point ahead of Speldhurst Rangers. Both have one game remaining - Yard travel to Insulators Reserves while Rangers travel to Tonbridge Origin Reserves with neither game looking that easy.

Yard dominated the first 22 minutes of play when Ridgwaye only managed to get into their opponents half about four times A well worked goal from Jay Scott, who has just returned from a long term injury and one form Joshua Williams put the Yard 0 - 2 up at half time. Williams then went on to score two more in the second half, making it comfortable at 4-0. But Ridgewaye did score,  in  the dying minutes,  Dan Thomas denying a clean sheet to Adam Good who had little to do for most of the game.
St John's Yard Man of the match was Chris Newhouse.  

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 15th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 St John's Yard 15 11 2 2 70 27 43 35
2 Speldhurst Rangers 15 11 1 3 68 36 32 34
3 Tonbridge Casuals 14 6 2 6 31 35 -4 20
4 TW Ridgewaye # 14 6 4 4 48 31 17 19
5 Tonbridge Origin Reserves 12 6 1 5 32 27 5 19
6 Tonbridge United + 15 5 1 9 29 47 -18 19
7 Insulators Reserves 12 4 0 8 21 37 -16 12
8 East Grinstead Mavericks 13 3 1 9 14 54 -40 10
9 Paddock Wood Reserves 12 1 4 7 18 37 -19 7

# three points deducted + three points awarded

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page