These reports are no longer published in the local press. They are not copyrighted, feel free to use providing you acknowledge the source!

West Kent Sunday League Report – Sunday 11th December 2016

I know that I shall be tempting fate when I say that we have arrived at more or less the halfway point in the league season, for most teams, without significant disruption from the weather. At this rate we shall be finished by early March! I will not though utter the words S....g C..!

WKSFL Senior Cup

We now know two of the semi-finalists in the WKSFL Senior Cup.  Armada had won and drawn in the League against Artois United in recent weeks and continued that vein of form with a penalty shoot out win. It was 1-1 at the end of extra time, 5-4 to Armada on penalties after several saves and misses.

From Armada FC - Once again, as with the two previous meetings this season, it was another tight affair. Artois took the lead midway through the first half through Peter Shaw, a half which saw both keepers make saves. Armada equalised within three minutes of the second period, and again both teams had chances to win it, but the tie went into extra time. With legs tiring, neither side gave an inch, with just maybe a chance or two each, which either were just off target or again saw the keepers Larkin (Armada) and Holdstock (Artois United) keep them out. So to penalties.

Artois took an advantage scoring their first two, with Holdstock saving Armada's second. Both sides missed their third spot kick, Holdstock saving again and doing his best to thwart his old team,  before both scoring their fourth. This gave the visitors a chance to win it, but they missed the target. Armada levelled it 3-3 after five kicks.
Into sudden death where both sides scored their sixth.

Artois then failed to hit the target again, but this time Armada missed their chance with Holdstock saving his third penalty. Larkin then produced a save of his own, Artois' eighth kick, giving Rusbridge the chance to win it, and he converted. 5-4 Armada and the result sees them reach the Senior Cup Semi Finals for the first time.

Joining them will be Dormansland Rockets, who thrashed Division Two side Green Lane by 7-1.  Leading scorer Richard Wetton hit a hat-trick, Louis Stone followed up last week's vital goal in the Surrey Cup with two more, Dave Heaton and Shane Clarabutt completed the scoring for the Rockets.  The Lane's only reply was from Tom Welch.

The remaining quarter-final ties are



Blackham & Ashurst
22 January
Tonbridge Origin


Rusthall Rangers
date TBA

WKSFL Intermediate Cup

Gardener's Arms made it to the Intermediate Cup semi-finals last week. Two more sides won through on Sunday. Brenchley are the only team to take a point off Pembury Sunday in the League this season, way back on 18th September, but couldn't match that performance against a Pembury side in good form. Pembury won 5-2 at Brenchley, two goals coming from Steve Harper plus one each from Nick Forward, Marc Wyles and Matt Rice-Tucker. Richard Suttton and Daniel Woods scored for the hosts.

Rusthall Club Athletic haven't played a League match since the end of October and are way behind the other teams in Division Three. They have though now won five assorted Cup matches in succession.  Today's game saw the club host Hawkenbury Sunday in the quarter final of the Intermediate cup fresh off the back of last weeks quarter final Junior Cup spanking that the club handed Six in one.

However this game didn't start out to plan for the club who are on a fine run of form recently, with Hawkenbury opening the scoring with a goal by Luke Graham, after being on the receiving end for the majority of the game. At half time score club 0-1 Hawkenbury.

After a stern talking to from manager Colin Johnson, the Club came out even stronger in the second half and it wasn't long before George Webzell found the net to put the club back on terms. From there on the Club went from strength to strength and soon found themselves in front through Gary McCafferty. James Scott scored the third by placing the ball through the keeper's legs, before the club saw George Webzell dismissed. But despite being down to ten, the Club maintained control of the game and James Scott soon doubled his goal scoring tally for the day to confirm the already inevitable victory for the club, their second quarter final win in as many weeks. No goals for Jamie Law this week but we've decided to let him off because he was in hospital all day yesterday and discharged himself specially to play!

The remaining tie, between South East Spitfires and Green Lane, takes place next Sunday.

Division One

It's very tight at the top as you can see below, but problems are being caused by teams not fulfilling fixtures. Both Simla and Insulators were gifted three points when opponents TW Foresters and Rusthall Rangers failed to play. The only game that did take place of the scheduled three was Tonbridge Origin's 4-2 home win over Goudhurst United, that puts them into third place on goal difference.  Origin's Myles Lowden goes to the joint top place in the Division One scorers list with his goal, Dave Saxby scored two and Sam Jenner the fourth. Will Mantle and Matt Adams scored for Goudhurst.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 11th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Simla # 10 9 0 1 43 11 32 24
2 Artois United 10 7 1 2 42 15 27 22
3 Tonbridge Origin 10 7 1 2 39 17 22 22
4 Insulators 10 7 1 2 34 14 20 22
5 TW Foresters 11 4 1 6 29 36 -7 13
6 Armada 7 2 2 3 10 15 -5 8
7 Dormansland Rockets 8 2 1 5 31 28 3 7
8 Blackham & Ashurst 9 2 1 6 17 41 -24 7
9 Goudhurst United + 9 1 0 8 11 51 -40 6
10 Rusthall Rangers 6 0 0 6 2 30 -28 0

Division Two

With several teams engaged in cup ties, there were only two league games. Gardener's Arms returned to the top of the table with a 5-1 win against SE Spitfires. Brad Moon and Karl Smith each scored twice, Andrew Grundy the fifth. I do not have Spitfires scorer.

Cassidy's Phoenix had a good 3-2 win at home to Paddock Wood, their first win after five successive defeats in League and Cup.  They did not send in their goalscorers. Stefan Draper and Lee Phillips scored for the  Wood, who will be regretting the defeat as it sets them back in the challenge for top places.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 11th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Gardener's Arms 8 7 1 0 33 8 25 22
2 Pembury Sunday 8 7 1 0 25 6 19 22
3 Paddock Wood 10 6 0 4 25 26 -1 18
4 Green Lane 8 3 2 3 18 18 0 11
5 Cassidy's Phoenix 9 3 2 4 17 21 -4 11
6 Hawkenbury Sunday 9 2 2 5 18 22 -4 8
7 SE Spitfires 8 2 1 5 13 26 -13 7
8 Brenchley 9 2 1 6 18 33 -15 7
9 Langton Green 9 1 2 6 24 31 -7 5

Division Three

Bricklayer's Arms kept themselves at the top of the table with an emphatic 9-0 win over Speldhurst Rangers, while Crowborough Town and Tonbridge Invicta cancelled each other out with a draw.

The Bricks started strong creating chances early. It was only to be a couple of minutes before Ollie Hyland found the back of the net for his first headed goal this season celebrating in style "mum mum did you see that I scored with my head". It was not to be long before the Bricks banged in another three in quick concession. Unfortunately for Speldhurst goal, hungry Bricks had not finished, finding the net three more time during the half with Alex Gunn's only job was making a mediocre save two minutes before half time. The Bricks went in at half time seven goals up, with Rob Gordon bagging a first half hat trick, Ollie Hyland finding two, Craig Bishop and Tommy Mulcahy also joined the list

The second half started slowly for the Bricks. With the points in the bag, the pace had dropped but not for long. Five minutes in, Rob Gordon struck again for the Bricks.  The game came off the boil at this point, with the Bricks dominating in possession but failing to create to many more clear chances. However Craig Bishop was hungry for one more ,bumbling the ball into the top corner after the Speldhurst 'keeper had denied his first effort. It was another clean sheet for Alex Gunn, despite doing virtually nothing all game

For the second week running Crowborough Town found themselves in a proverbial game of two halves, this time facing Tonbridge Invicta at Goldsmith's.
The game started well enough for the home team, but they never looked like turning their possession football into goals and after five minutes Invicta broke away to show how it was done and go one ahead. This seemed to inspire the visitors and for the rest of the half they were well on top, adding a second goal with twenty minutes to go before the break.
Half Time :  Crowborough Town   0  -  2   Tonbridge Invicta
This week's half time 'lecture' by Town's manager took a while to sink in and within a couple of minutes of the re-start Invicta went three ahead, the goals having been scored by Cuan Walsh and a brace by Joe Williams.. Fortunately for the home side, a minute later - and for the second week running - a clumsy challenge gave them a penalty that Andy Pollard duly converted. The manager's words started to take effect. For most of the second half it was all Crowborough, but good defending by their opponents meant that time was running out when Matt Pickett found the net to bring the score to 3 - 2. With their tails up Town pressed hard and with just two minutes left on the clock they were rewarded with an equalising goal, a second by Matt Pickett, following a goalmouth scramble. Unfortunately Crowborough had left it a little too late and it spite of more pressure on the visitors defence time ran out with the scores still level. Final Score :  Crowborough Town   3  -  3   Tonbridge Invicta and for both teams two points were lost in the close race for
the title.

In mid-table, Paddock Wood Reserves beat Green Street Blues at the Elm Tree 3-0. Lamin Fuller and Callum Lawlor (2) were the scorers, Will Martin kept the clean sheet.

Ticehurst Village Club had suffered a four game losing streak, but are back in winning ways after a very good 7-0 win at home against St John's Yard. A hat-trick from Rob Briley was a key feature of the morning, with one goal each from colleagues Dave Harvey, Adam Brotherwood, Tommy White and Jack Peach adding up to the seven. In goal with the clean sheet was Calvin Bull, who normally plays outfield.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 11th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Bricklayers Arms 10 8 0 2 41 14 27 24
2 Crowborough Town 11 7 1 3 36 22 14 22
3 Tonbridge Invicta 10 6 1 3 33 16 17 19
4 Green St Blues 8 4 1 3 21 14 7 13
5 Paddock Wood Reserves 11 4 1 6 17 29 -12 13
6 St John's Yard 11 4 1 6 24 45 -21 13
7 Ticehurst Village 10 3 2 5 23 28 -5 11
8 Rusthall Club Athletic 5 2 1 2 16 13 3 7
9 Speldhurst Rangers 10 0 2 8 16 46 -30 2

Division Four

TW Ridgewaye and FC Grinstead shared ten goals in a real tale of two halves in this affair at Skinners Sports ground. Having lost to Grinstead last week in the cup, Ridgewaye were looking to bounce back, but after going behind early on to a very preventable goal  the signs did not look good. However, a well taken goal by Scott Beasley levelled things up before Ridgewaye fell behind again courtesy to some hesitant defending and goalkeeping and they went in at half time 4-1 down. A good team spirit meant that heads did not go down and goals by Ben Adams, Max O’Neill and Harry Franklin bought the teams level at 4-4 before Ridgewaye took the lead with a great strike from Tom Mitcheson. The final ten minutes were frantic with end to end play which resulted in an equaliser from Grinstead, making it 5-5 with five minutes to spare. Late pressure from Ridgewaye failed to produce the winner which their play probably deserved, but a well-earned point was some consolation for such a poor start to the game.  FC Grinstead scorers were Connor Tobin (2), Aaron Baston, Callum Gardner and Joe Moulding.
Tunbridge Wells Foresters recovered from last Sunday's setback in the Junior Cup by beating Insulators Reserves 7-2 and creating for themselves a nine point lead at the top of the table. Despite Insulators taking an early lead, where Lewis Disbury probably got a touch to Mark (Bob) Lindsey's free kick it was mainly the home side from that point on. A defensive error and a good shot saw the home side in the lead by half time. After that it was mainly one way traffic where a depleted Insulators side were no match for the eventual champions who have a number of quality players in their ranks.

TWF raced into a deserved 7-1 lead, with four goals by Simon Hammond and one each from Harry Hickmott, Anton Powell and Ash Collins, before Fabian Fernandez scored the goal of the game for Insulators with a Van Basten volley to at least make the post match drink worthwhile.

AFC Six in One lost for the fourth Sunday running (excepting their win against the now defunct Hadlow United) despite scoring three at home to Tonbridge Origin Reserves, for whom it was their first League win since mid - October.  The League's top scorer added yet another to his total, Ben Boodle scored two. he scores almost every week also. Bit Origin Reserves scored five, with Levi Caruana scoring four of them. Will Ashenden was the other scorer.

Tonbridge Casuals keep up their record as the league's draw experts. Their latest draw was a 2-2 result at FC Hayward, their goals being scored by Luke Hills and Paul Edwards. I do not have FC Hayward's scorers.

West Kent Sunday League Division Four including Sunday 11th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 TW Foresters Reserves 10 9 0 1 51 19 32 27
2 Insulators Reserves 10 5 3 2 33 26 7 18
3 FC Hayward 9 5 2 2 30 16 14 17
4 AFC Six in One 11 4 2 5 54 39 15 14
5 FC Grinstead 8 3 3 2 28 25 3 12
6 Tonbridge Origin Reserves 8 2 3 3 24 29 -5 9
7 Tonbridge Casuals 11 1 5 5 20 33 -13 8
8 TW Youth (Ridgewaye) 10 2 1 7 25 58 -33 7
9 Tonbridge United 7 1 1 5 5 25 -20 4

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page