West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 10th November 2019

It was back to league action for most of our teams, but it was also a day for County Cup ties with mixed fortunes. Better weather meant that most games took place as scheduled.

Kent Sunday Premier Cup

Armada had a tough morning at home to the powerful Ashford league side Bromley Green. They went down 4-1 in the end, but it was a harsh defeat for the hosts.
Bromley Green could have been reduced to ten men after thirty ,when their 'keeper brought a home player down when through on goal. Just a yellow.
Bromley Green later scored to lead 1-0 at half time.

They scored again early in the second half. Armada then had a goal dubiously disallowed for offside, only to concede again seconds later.
Armada kept pushing and should have pulled one back but somehow failed to score from two yards, before having yet another goal ruled out by the linesman.
Bromley Green later made it four-nil with a goal on the break. Armada kept  going and James Donaldson eventually pulled one back, but it was too little too late.

From the Ashford Sunday League website "...there were celebrations in Southborough as Bromley Green progressed to the full county draw with a fantastic 4-1 away win over Armada FC. Goals from Kieran Shrimpton, Pat Kingwell, Matt Burdon and top scorer Luke Burdon..."

Much better news though from Artois United and Green Lane, who both progressed to the County wide last sixteen with home wins.

Artois comfortably beat White Horse FC from Maidstone 5-1 at Tonbridge Farm. Scorers were Stefan Draper, Kane Crowhurst, Peter Shaw, Regan Cork and Tim Thirlaway.

Green Lane scored six at home to Stanhope & Beaver Sports featuring a hat-trick by Tommy Welch. Ben Holder weighed in with two and the sixth was by Johnny Phillips in a 6-3 win. The visitors goals came from Tom Collins, Joe Burden and Lewis Sheldon-Smith, but their good spell of form and four match unbeaten sequence was ended by their West Kent Sunday League hosts.

Kent Sunday Junior Cup

TW Ridgewaye went out 4-0 at Sutton Valence. I have no further details.

Kent Sunday Junior Trophy

The tie between Maidstone International and Tonbridge Origin was postponed. They will try again next week. Sadly, TW Ridgewaye Reserves could not field a team to travel to Singleton Barn and are out.

WKSFL Intermediate Cup

The several times postponed Preliminary Round tie between Biggin Hill and Paddock Wood finally took place. Biggin Hill won the game 4 -1. I have no details except that Michael O´Rourke scored for Paddock Wood. Biggin Hill will travel to Brenchley in the First Round, date to be arranged.

Division One

Two of the three scheduled games went ahead. Simla go top of the table on goal difference following a 6-1 home win over Cassidy's Phoenix. It was fairly even in the first half with both teams scoring once. Cassidys went ahead after poor communication in the Simla defence led to an easy tap in for Gavin Hawes. Brad Draper scored later on for the Simla equalizer.

The second half was pretty much all controlled by Simla from the start. Brad Draper, Simla's central defender turned attacker for the match, scored another three goals. Ian Parsons added one more. Greg Nicholson then scored the goal of the match from way out wide on the left a shot that went over the 'keeper and into the top corner of the net.

The other game was a  2-2 draw between St John's Yard and Pembury Sunday. The Yard went ahead in the eighth minute, then hit a second in the sixteenth minute both scored by Dan Hunter. Pembury pulled one back directly from a free kick hit by Toby Forward.  Pembury then went down to 10 men. It was 2-1 to the Yard at half-time.

Pembury scored the equalizer in the second half through Luke Packham. By the end fitness (or lack of) was telling, with the hosts hanging on at the end for a point. St John's Yard had not played for five weeks and and for Pembury Sunday it was only their second game since the beginning of October.

West Kent Sunday League Division One
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Simla 4 3 1 0 19 3 16 10
2 Armada + 4 2 1 1 12 5 7 10
3 Green Lane 4 3 0 1 21 12 9 9
4 Insulators + 4 2 0 2 12 23 -11 9
5 Artois United $ 3 3 0 0 25 3 22 6
6 Saint John's Yard 5 1 1 3 10 20 -10 4
7 Cassidy's Phoenix 5 0 2 3 13 22 -9 2
8 Pembury Sunday 5 0 2 3 6 21 -15 2
9 Petts Wood Old Boys $ 4 1 1 2 10 19 -9 1

Division Two

Dormansland Rockets made it seven wins out of seven in all competitions.

Dormansland Rockets needed to come from behind to eventually overcome AFC Valour 4-1 in East Peckham. Despite having the better of the first half chances, the Rockets found themselves 1-0 down at half time. Valour made the most of a free kick in a dangerous area. An excellent delivery that caught the Rockets defence napping and was nodded home by Nate Lawrence from eight yards out. The best of Dormansland’s chances fell to Ollie Muggeridge, who hit the post with a header from just a couple of yards out.

The half time introduction of Rich Wetton, who failed to arrive on time despite the later kick off, galvanised Dormansland. Ten minutes after the restart they were level, centre half Martyn Bishop found himself miles out of position as he raced onto a through ball and finished like a forward to make it 1-1. It was all Rockets, but Valour did well to restrict them to half chances with some resolute defending but eventually the pressure told. Callum Funnell worked the ball to Scott Baptiste down the right hand channel and his pinpoint delivery was swept home by Muggeridge, who this time made no mistake from close range. Having fallen behind, Valour now had to come out and chase the game, unfortunately for them this left space in behind which Rich Wetton exploited to make it 3-1 after an unselfish bit of play from Miguel Figuerra-Dunne. Especially unselfish, given the two are battling to be the club´s top scorer. Figuerra-Dunne was aghast, but not surprised, when Wetton failed to return the favour moments later, instead opting to shoot but seeing his effort well blocked by a Valour defender. Muggeridge again conspired to miss from two yards shortly before the end, thumping the ball against the post when he had ample time to pick his spot. That miss left both sets of players in hysterics. However it was Muggeridge who would have the last laugh, thumping home his second of the game late on to make the final score 4-1 to Dormansland. Valour remain winless, but can take heart from a spirited display against the league leaders, their luck will surely change soon. The game was played in good spirits on a pitch in surprisingly good nick given recent conditions.

Artois United Reserves are unbeaten at home so far this season and moved into third place with a 6-0 against Speldhurst Rangers. There was a hat-trick for Adam Whatman, one each for Reece Francis, Tom Stevens and Dan Edmonton. Goalkeeper Russ Skinner kept his side's clean sheet.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Dormansland Rockets 4 4 0 0 21 5 16 12
2 Royal Oak 3 3 0 0 13 5 8 9
3 Artois United Reserves 5 3 0 2 14 9 5 9
4 Charcott 4 3 0 1 10 6 4 9
5 FC Grinstead 3 2 0 1 10 7 3 6
6 TW Ridgewaye 3 1 0 2 6 8 -2 3
7 Biggin Hill JFC 2 0 0 2 2 6 -4 0
8 AFC Valour 5 0 0 5 6 15 -9 0
9 Speldhurst Rangers 3 0 0 3 4 25 -21 0

Division Three

Hawkhurst United, under new management, picked up their first League point of the season in the Wealden Derby, a 1-1 draw with Goudhurst United. The game had been switched to Goudhurst, with them no doubt really wanting a game having not had one, for one reason or another, since the 22nd of September!

Correction : John Bilsby scored for Goudhurst, I do not have the Hawkhurst scorer.

Insulators Reserves also had a good day, collecting their first league win of the season at home to Yalding & Laddingford.

This was a competitive game with play going from end to end with neither side gaining control.

Jake Freeman opened the scoring with his first goal for Insulators (his dad Andy got a few for the club a few years ago). This was added to by James Philpott when he slotted the ball home after about 30 minutes. The score was 2-0 at half time.

Yalding came out and took the game to the home side. A couple of defensive errors allowed Yalding striker Billy Dunn to turn and score from 18 yards. Game on. Insulators needed to respond quickly and did so when James Philpott broke free of the defence but was pushed in the back by a chasing defender. The penalty was scored by the fouled player to restore the two goal advantage. That became 4-1 after a defensive error allowed Lewis Ott to tap in from close range. Still Yalding were not beaten and Lee Gower scored a fine goal from outside the box to make it 4-2 with ten minutes remaining. Both sides had chances to score, but that remained the score at the final whistle.
West Kent Sunday League Division Three
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Goudhurst United 4 3 1 0 14 4 10 10
2 Ticehurst Village 4 3 0 1 13 11 2 9
3 TW Ridgewaye Reserves 3 2 0 1 13 6 7 6
4 Paddock Wood 2 2 0 0 12 6 6 6
5 Tonbridge Origin 2 1 0 1 6 3 3 3
6 Insulators Reserves 3 1 0 2 6 9 -3 3
7 Brenchley 2 1 0 1 0 6 -6 3
8 Hawkhurst United 4 0 1 3 5 15 -10 1
9 Yalding & Laddingford 4 0 0 4 6 15 -9 0

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page