West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 8th September 2019

The second week of the season sees two new teams at the top of their respective divisions and long established outfit Insulators top of the First

Division One

Insulators made it six points from with six with a very good 5-0 home win against Petts Wood Old Boys. Knowing the quality of Petts Wood from last season, this was expected to be a tight game. However, goals by Marc Scott with a header from a corner on five minutes then a fine goal by last season's top scorer, Jake Pingault , made it 2-0 within nine minutes. Petts Wood dug in and although Insulators had the best of things it remained 2-0 at half time.

The away side pressed hard at the start of the second half and missed a couple of half chances. After repelling the efforts, it was Insulators that added a third after 66 minutes when Marc Scott added his second with a shot from 12 yards.. In the 74th minute a Tom Bridger cross was put into his own net by a defender which wrapped up the game. Jake Pingault hit the post in the 85th minute, before Reece Beecroft completed the scoring on 87 minutes. In goal, Max Bridges kept the clean sheet.

Armada and Simla played a 2-2 draw at Yew Tree Lane. Armada started brightly with a lot of the early possession before the match settled into end to end play. Then a lapse in defence led to Simla gifting a goal to Armada, scored by Ben Parkin. There were no further scores in first half.

Simla came out stronger in the second half and soon scored when they were awarded a penalty which was converted by Ian Parsons. Simla continued to put pressure on the Armada goal without success, then Armada broke away after another defensive error and scored again this time through Harry Tampsett.

Simla again pushed forward until Ian Parsons jinked his way through the Armada defence to score his second goal.

There were further chances for both teams, but Simla had the best chances, hitting the post and crossbar amongst many efforts to score the winner in the closing stages of the match but final score remained 2 - 2.

Artois United kicked off their title defence with a useful 4-2 win at Green Lane.  Peter Shaw scored twice, there was one each for Jack Funnell and Lucas Murrain. The Lane's prolific scorer Tommy Welch scored for the hosts as did Jason Hill.

Cassidy's Phoenix lost narrowly at home 2- 3 to St John's Yard. It was a gigantic effort from the whole St John's Yard team, so proud of them said management. They went in at half time two nil down, Matt Ferris and Ali Tuli having put the home team ahead. Dean Vidler opened Yard's scoring in the second half with a delightful chip from the edge of the area over the ´keeper. Jack Veness them scored with perfectly placed header and Mush Miah completed the scoring with perfect poachers goal. From the Yard's perspective it was even more pleasing in that they had only the bare eleven players. 

West Kent Sunday League Division One
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Insulators 2 2 0 0 11 4 7 6
2 Artois United 1 1 0 0 4 2 2 3
3 Green Lane 2 1 0 1 5 4 1 3
4 Saint John's Yard 2 1 0 1 7 8 -1 3
5 Petts Wood Old Boys 2 1 0 1 1 5 -4 3
6 Simla 1 0 1 0 2 2 0 1
7 Armada 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
8 Cassidy's Phoenix 1 0 0 1 2 3 -1 0
9 Pembury Sunday 1 0 0 1 0 3 -3 0

Division Two

Newly formed Charcott have set out their stall by winning their first two games. They followed last week's success with a 4-1 win at FC Grinstead, who are expected to be among the leading runners this season.  Jay Pring added one to his season's tally, the other Charcott scorers were Tom Coleman, Ryan Silvester and an own goal.

Dormansland Rockets kicked off their 24th season in the WKSL season with a crushing 12-2 victory over luckless Speldhurst Rangers.

Unfortunately for Speldhurst they were only able to muster ten men for this fixture. Whilst Rockets had four new signings, three of whom scored!

As you would expect,Rockets had more of the play and went into an early two goal lead through George Pleon and Miguel Figueira Dunne. Despite by then being down to nine men, Rangers replied to those two early goals with Ollie Crees on hand with the assists for James Hughes and Jolyon Whellor and at half time it was two-all. A game of two halves it turned out to be, as injuries brought Rangers down to nine and Rockets smashing in ten unanswered goals in the second half.

This setback seemed to spark Rockets into life and making use of their substitutes against an unsurprisingly tiring Speldhurst further goals were added by Jaimie Ashley (2), Miguel who scored 3 more, last seasons top goalscorer Rich Wetton (3) Ali Jones and a penalty from Steve Causon.

All credit to Speldhurst who kept trying to play right till the end even when it wasn't their day.

AFC Valour lost their second match 1-3 at home to TW Ridgewaye. For Ridgewaye it was their first ever WKSFL Division 2 match .  It was a match between two evenly matched teams.  The first half was contested without either goalkeeper needing to make a significant save.  Valour struggled to get started and find any rhythm versus a youthful TW Ridgewaye side.

The first goal came after 48 minutes with a corner from Valour’s right side was turned in by Isaac Saunders at the far post.  Valour responded when a throw in from the Ridgewaye left gave the ball to Tom Revell, whose looping ball found Paul Shuffle-Botham.  His neat footwork evaded two defenders, and he passed the ball into the net.  At that point the match was impossible to call.  Valour had a lot of the ball at this point but made nothing of it. Dan Thomas had different Ideas. He won the ball from a defender after the ball had been passed on from the ‘keeper, and he lobbed the keeper from a full 35 yards.  It’s likely that Ridgewaye’s goal of the season was scored in their first match.  Valour were unlucky, in that Thomas's goal came at the perfect time for Ridgewaye Valour's main on the sideline said "I think the kids these days call this ‘a worldie’!" [A what? Old people please forgive!]

With fifteen minutes to go, Valour were caught out pushing for an equaliser high up the pitch when a through ball to Tyler Markwell gave him time and space to score into the roof of the net to make it 3-1.  Late efforts by Valour came to naught, they had an effort from Aaron Baker saved at close range by the opposition keeper. The ´´keeper also made a great save from an effort outside the box by Shuffle-Botham. Alex Waller then hit the bar with a header.  All in all too little too late from a game that Valour bar a 5-10 min spell in the second half never looked like winning.

Ricky Riddall refereed with his customary authority which ensured a well-behaved game.

Royal Oak and Artois United's newly formed reserve team kicked off their season at Southwood Road, rarely used on Sundays these days. It was the Oak who went home with the spoils of victory and a handsome one it was, 7-1. Relegated after a hard season in the top division, it was undoubtedly a good morale booster. Among the scorers were names from that previous season, Ashley Bell, Matt Last and there were two from Nat Paine. Also scoring were Dan Gray, Spencer Alford and Dan Lazell. Joe Hares scored for the visitors.

Biggin Hill have been unable to play their first two games because of a problem with their pitch.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Charcott 2 2 0 0 7 3 4 6
2 Dormansland Rockets 1 1 0 0 12 2 10 3
3 Royal Oak 1 1 0 0 7 1 6 3
4 FC Grinstead 2 1 0 1 8 6 2 3
5 TW Ridgewaye 1 1 0 0 3 1 2 3
6 Biggin Hill JFC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
7 AFC Valour 2 0 0 2 3 6 -3 0
8 Artois United Reserves 1 0 0 1 1 7 -6 0
9 Speldhurst Rangers 2 0 0 2 4 19 -15 0

Division Three

TW Ridgewaye's newly formed reserve team top the table after winning at Yalding and Laddingford. It was a close game, Ridgewaye winning 3-2 with the goals coming from Jason Hinkson, Dylon Thomas and Lewis Inglis. Familiar names appear on the scoresheet for the home side, namely Alex Young-Rogers and James Faulkner.

Goudhurst United are also 100% after two games. It was a good game against Insulators Reserves , who came with a new fresh faced looking squad who were in buoyant mood before kick off.  Unfortunately it appeared that there was a hangover from last season as Goudhurst went one up after 5 minutes following a long throw where the defence failed to clear their lines, Will Mantle pounced to open the scoring.

Not to dwell on the disappointing start, Insulators grew into the game. Just a minute after a Lewis Ott free kick was well saved by the opposition goalkeeper. It was Cole Walsh who scored to level up the game. Insulators dominated the last part of the first half and spurned several good chances before Craig Smith was denied by his brother (in the Goudhurst goal) with a fine save.

One- all at half time but signs were positive for the visitors until another long throw resulted in a goal for Goudhurst five minutes into the second half.  Goudhurst took control of the game and deserved their third goal when it came, although it was another soft goal to concede. Will Mantle had scored his second, James Found also hit the net.

There was a fine penalty save from Insulators Dan Marks to keep the score at 3-1 and that was that. A special mention from management to Ash James who really shone in the back four. Lots of positives to take into next week's game against Ticehurst Village Club.

On Sunday the Club visited the re-formed Paddock Wood side and were on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline. Terry Collins, Carl Donovan, Alex Emery, Simon Hammond and Steff Swift scored for the 'Wood (some experienced names in there) while for the Club Leon Fisher and Ben Banfield were scoring.

Hawkhurst United were unable to raise a team for the visit of Brenchley. Let's hope they are not already struggling for players.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three 
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 TW Ridgewaye Reserves 2 2 0 0 10 2 8 6
2 Goudhurst United 2 2 0 0 7 3 4 6
3 Paddock Wood 1 1 0 0 5 2 3 3
4 Ticehurst Village 2 1 0 1 5 7 -2 3
5 Brenchley 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
6 Tonbridge Origin 1 0 0 1 2 3 -1 0
7 Insulators Reserves 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0
8 Yalding & Laddingford 2 0 0 2 4 7 -3 0
9 Hawkhurst United 1 0 0 1 0 7 -7 0

And a valedictory from Crowborough Town, members of the League for so many years.

Yesterday, Sunday the 8th, saw the final game for Crowborough Town FC after 28 years of West Kent Sunday League football.

Players from the Club's 1990's and early 2000's arranged a 'final' game at their Goldsmith's Ground and over 40 turned out to mark the occasion. In glorious weather a 'competitive' game was followed by a barbecue with many old friendships renewed and memories shared.

Below is a picture of the players - fronted by the Clubs' physio for the 28 years.

ctown end game

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page