These reports are no longer published in the local press. They are not copyrighted, feel free to use providing you acknowledge the source!

West Kent Sunday League Report Sunday 5th March 2017

Heavy rain caused the postponment of half the scheduled matches. This is therefore once again a short report!

Senior Cup Semi-Finals

The semi-final between Tonbridge Origin and Dormansland Rockets was one game that fell by the wayside. It will be rescheduled.

Holders Simla made it to the final by beating Armada 3-1 at Five Oak Green. It will be their fifth final in six seasons, all of which they have won.

Simla secretary Geoff Mills said that all types of weather except for snow today made it an interesting match.

Simla started the stronger team, but as in the last two weeks failed to convert their chances into goals. Armada managed to score just before the end of the first half through James Faulkner and take their eleven into the break one ahead.

Simla equalised soon into the second half through Joe Adams, then went ahead after being awarded a penalty with Alex Carey being the scorer. Armada 'keeper James Larkin had a good game with some excellent saves, which kept them within touch until David Blundell scored the third goal for Simla late in proceedings.

Division Two

The only game in Division Two ended in a 2-0 win for SE Spitfifes over Brenchley, three points that propelled them off the bottom and three places up the table. Sean Ludlum scored both those important goals. One win from their final three matches could see Spitfires finish above Brenchley in fifth place.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Gardener's Arms 14 11 3 0 53 12 41 36
2 Pembury Sunday 14 11 2 1 51 10 41 35
3 Paddock Wood + 14 6 1 7 29 42 -13 22
4 Green Lane 13 6 3 4 34 25 9 21
5 Brenchley 16 5 2 9 29 46 -17 17
6 SE Spitfires 13 4 2 7 20 33 -13 14
7 Hawkenbury Sunday 15 3 3 9 27 37 -10 12
8 Cassidy's Phoenix # 15 4 3 8 26 41 -15 12
9 Langton Green 14 3 3 8 33 56 -23 12

Division Three

Rusthall Club Athletic's important game at the Elm Tree against Paddock Wood Reserves was another one that was called off.

Division Four

FC Grinstead are guaranteed second place and some medals after a good 5-0 win at Tonbridge United. They would have to win their final game by a margin of 23 goals to pip TW Foresters Reserves for the title, which would I think call for a steward's enquiry! Anyway, well done to Grinstead who since mid October have gone twelve games undefeated in League and cup, winnng eleven and drawing one.  Leading scorer Connor Tobin brought his season total to 20 with a hat-trick, his fourth of the season, while Connor Oaks and Callum Gardner scored the others. Between the sticks, Harvey James kept his fifth clean sheet of the season so far.

West Kent Sunday League Division Four
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 TW Foresters Reserves # 16 13 0 3 78 29 49 36
2 FC Grinstead 15 10 3 2 56 29 27 33
3 FC Hayward 15 9 2 4 52 32 20 29
4 Insulators Reserves + 15 6 3 6 41 45 -4 24
5 AFC Six in One 15 7 2 6 70 54 16 23
6 Tonbridge Origin Reserves 14 5 4 5 41 42 -1 19
7 Tonbridge Casuals 16 3 5 8 31 55 -24 14
8 TW Youth (Ridgewaye) 15 3 2 10 43 76 -33 11
9 Tonbridge United 15 1 1 13 9 59 -50 4

Spring Cup

The Senior Section did not fare well. The game between Gardener's Arms and Artois United was called off, while Tunbridge Wells Foresters failed to raise a team for their game with Insulators. It is being said that Foresters will pull out completely. I will update as soon as this is confirmed or otherwise.

Brighter news however in the Junior section, where all three scheduled games went ahead.

All four teams in Group Three were in action. Pride of place goes to TW Ridgewaye, who trounced Tonbridge Casuals 6-1 on the 3G at Hayesbrook School. It was their third win over Casuals this season, having beaten them twice in the League. Scorers for Ridgewaye were Ben Adams (2), Scott Beasley, Josh Higgins, Nathan Calthorpe and Charlie Dodd. Mark Whorlow scored Casuals' only reply.

There were plenty of goals also in the other group Three game at the Hilbert, where St John's Yard continued their recent revival, with a  5-1 win at the expense of Ticehurst Village Club. Jack Veness opened the scoring after 22 minutes of the first half with a penalty. Secretary Tony Vanns said it was a good all round performance from the team. Other goal scorers Dan Hunter with two,  Mushed Miah and James Moore.The Club's only goal was scored by Ben Evans.

In Group One, Tonbridge Invicta hosted Division Four winners TW Foresters Reserves. Foresters returned home after a 4-1 win, featuring two goals by Simon Hammond and one each from Harry Hickmott and Louis Simmons. Rob Runciman scored for Invicta.

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page