These reports are no longer published in the local press. They are not copyrighted, feel free to use providing you acknowledge the source!

West Kent Sunday League Report Sunday 4th December 2016

WKSFL Intermediate Cup Third Round (Quarter-Finals)

Langton Green shipped seven goals for the second week running, Gardener's Arms being the first team to reach the Intermediate Cup semi-finals with a 7-0 win at Tonbridge Farm. John Sinclair scored his first goals of the season, three of them, Karl Smith scored twice and also on the scoresheet were Callum Meade and Kane Joseph. The league's leading goalkeeper in the shut out department, Ben Carter, kept his seventh clean sheet of the season.

The other scheduled tie, between South East Spitfires and Green Lane, was called off.

WKSFL Junior Cup - Third Round (Quarter-Finals)

All four ties took place as scheduled. The semi-final line up will feature one Division Four team - FC Grinstead - the top two of Division Three namely Bricklayer's Arms and Crowborough Town plus Rusthall Club Athletic. The Club, after a poor start to the season, have won their last six WKSFL League and Cup matches and are in good form.

The deluge of goals that accompanies AFC Six in One shows no sign of abating, but unfortunately for them they were deep in the floodwaters on Sunday. Rusthall Club Athletic beat them handsomely, a 9-2 home win that included their first two hat-trick performances of the season, from Jamie Law and George Webzell.

The Club were looking to increase their recent unbeaten streak, but were with out key midfield player Rob Johnson and also Ryan Dilnot due to the cruciate injury he sustained last week at Tonbridge Invicta. Club started on the front foot getting, an early goal through the inform Jamie Law who cant stop scoring at the moment. However they then didn't settle and Six in One looked several times to equalise. That equaliser came when the Club 'keeper Michael Dirilmis made a mistake and gave a penalty away. He was finger tips away from stopping Ryan Smith's effort, but didn't quite manage to keep it out.

The Club took a little time to settle after the equaliser but soon found their groove again and found themselves 5-1 up at the break. After the break the club extended their lead to 6-1 before Six in One pulled one back through Ben Boodle. They never gave up the fight!! The club then extended their lead to 9-2 before the full time whistle, this could have been more had James Scott remembered his shooting boots, the striker had around 15 chances to score. Nevertheless he managed to bag one and chipped in with five assists!

Club scorers list - Jamie Law (3), George Webzell (3), James Scott, James Webzell and Gary McCafferty

FC Grinstead beat TW Ridgewaye 5-0 to become the only Division Four side in the semi-finals. Two goals each from Charly Harris and Jordan Stone plus one from Lee Warbey saw them through. In goal, Harvey James kept his second clean sheet of the season.

Form was followed when Bricklayer's Arms duly beat TW Foresters Reserves. This was a big game for both teams, with both leading their respective leagues. Although Foresters had lost only once in their previous seven games, Bricks' form at the top of Division Three proved the winner.  The Bricks started fast looking the better team from the off. However 40 minutes passed before Bricks opened the scoring, with Ollie Hyland receiving the ball from Rob Gordon on the edge of the box and beating the Foresters keeper. 1-0 to Bricks at half time

Three minutes into the second half Tommy Mulcahy delivered a beautiful free kick towards Rob Gordon, who fired a header towards goal only to be denied by the crossbar. The rebound fell for Ollie Hyland who blasted over the bar. Five more minutes passed before Danny Lawrence found Rob Gordon to bag the second

Six minutes later, Foresters responded from a free kick whipped towards goal. Bricks 'keeper Alex Gunn could only manage a weak punch, deflecting the ball towards the awaiting striker Billy Armstrong at the back post, who found the net with a good finish.

With the game heating up, halfway through the second half a Bricks free kick was awarded in the centre of the park to the dismay of a Foresters player, who was sent off for his reaction. With the game a bit unsettled and with twelve minutes to go, Danny Lawrence made a blistering run, skipping past two defenders and beat the keeper with a fantastic shot to the bottom left, securing a semi final place for his team

The Bricks would like to congratulate referee Jack Greener for his handling of the game.

Insulators Reserves put up a good fight and played well against Division 3 opposition Crowborough Town. If ever there was a game of the proverbial two halves this was it. Crowborough started slowly, came under pressure from Insulators from the first whistle, and it was no real surprise when the home team took the lead after 17 minutes with a strike from Ben Johnson. Insulators were looking by far the better side. Eventually Town put a few passes together and on 32 minutes a cross from Matt Pickett found Richard Neve on the edge of the penalty area and he put an unstoppable volley past the home side's keeper. Putting the score to 1 - 1 seemed to spur Insulators to greater efforts and with a couple of minutes to go before half time they again found the visitors net, Reece Beecroft being the scorer.
Half Time :  Insulators Reserves  2  -  1  Crowborough Town
Not for the first time this season the Crowborough manager's half-time talk had the desired effect and his players began to play the better football. Insulators struggled to get to grips with their revitalised opponents and after fifteen minutes of pressure Neve grabbed his second, from a corner, to the scores level at 2 - 2. For the rest of the half the visitors looked to be the team more likely to move into the semi-final, but it wasn't until a clumsy challenge in the home team's penalty area gave away a deserved spot kick that Pickett  converted. Twelve minutes remained. There was still a little drama to come when, at the very end of the 90 minutes, Insulators gained a corner. The whole team moved into the visitors penalty area - including the 'keeper. Crowborough then managed to clear the ball half the length of the pitch for Pickett to run on to, but with just one defender chasing him he managed to put the ball the wrong side of the post into the side netting. It's a good job that a one goal victory is enough in the cup!

On  sad note, Insulators had lost two former players in the week leading to the game - Norman Clarkson who played in the 1980's and 1990's but also Matt Brand who played from 2002 to 2013, playing 200 games. His debut was against Crowborough Town and his last major appearance would be in the Junior Cup against Crowborough Town in the 2013 Final.

Surrey Lower Junior Cup Second Round

Dormansland Rockets eventually came through 4-2 on penalties after a tense morning. Louis Stone scored the only goal in the game against Ash United, which finished 1-1 after extra time.

Division One

Artois United stay on top but those below have a game in hand. They beat TW Foresters 8-2 with a hat-trick from Stafford Browne the highlight. Also scoring were Ayrton Phillips and Connor Morrow with two each, Josh Marshall hit the eighth.  Richard Clibbens and Simon Hammond scored for the Foresters, for whom it was the third league defeat in a row but to be fair those games were against the current top three teams!

There was another 8 goal haul, this time for Tonbridge Origin against struggling Rusthall Rangers. Two hat-tricks in this one, Myles Lowden scoring four goals and Rob Litlejohn three. Anthony Kent added the eighth. Rangers consolation was scored by Justin Tottle.

Second placed Simla kept up the pressure with a good 4-1 home win against Armada. Simla started well getting three quick goals, one each for Matt Newman, Bayley Cobran and the Division's top scorer David Blundell. Armada missed a chance to pull one back when they were awarded a penalty, but the shot hit the post and was cleared down the pitch.

In the second half Simla seemed to lose their focus for a while which allowed Armada to score through Jack Matthews. Afterwards Simla had several opportunities to go further ahead before Blundell scored again to make it 4 - 1 at the final whistle.

Artois will be involved in their Senior Cup quarter-final next week, which gives the chasing three a chance to catch up. Then, on December 18th, Artois United are due to play Insulators while Simla will be at home to Tonbridge Origin. That should give the table an interesting look going into the two week Christmas and New Year break.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 4th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Artois United 10 7 1 2 42 15 27 22
2 Simla # 9 8 0 1 43 11 32 21
3 Tonbridge Origin 9 6 1 2 35 15 20 19
4 Insulators 9 6 1 2 34 14 20 19
5 TW Foresters 10 4 1 5 29 36 -7 13
6 Armada 7 2 2 3 10 15 -5 8
7 Dormansland Rockets 8 2 1 5 31 28 3 7
8 Blackham & Ashurst 9 2 1 6 17 41 -24 7
9 Goudhurst United + 8 1 0 7 9 47 -38 6
10 Rusthall Rangers 5 0 0 5 2 30 -28 0

Division Two

With several teams involved in cup ties, only two league matches took place. Pembury Sunday moved to the top of the table after a close 2-0 win at Cassidy's Phoenix. Olly Allman and Steve Harper scored the all-important goals while Charlton Farrell in goal kept his fourth clean sheet of the season.

Paddock Wood are in a good third place. They beat Hawkenbury Sunday 3-2, with two goals from John Fuller and one from Dan Green Jnr.. For Hawks, Natt Paine and Tom Fanton hit the back of the net.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 4th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Pembury Sunday 8 7 1 0 25 6 19 22
2 Gardener's Arms 7 6 1 0 28 7 21 19
3 Paddock Wood 9 6 0 3 23 23 0 18
4 Green Lane 8 3 2 3 18 18 0 11
5 Hawkenbury Sunday 9 2 2 5 18 22 -4 8
6 Cassidy's Phoenix 8 2 2 4 14 19 -5 8
7 SE Spitfires 7 2 1 4 12 21 -9 7
8 Brenchley 9 2 1 6 18 33 -15 7
9 Langton Green 9 1 2 6 24 31 -7 5

Division Three

Again, with the top two and several others involved in cup action, there were only two League games.  Tonbridge Invicta moved to within touching distance of the top two places after a 5-0 home win over  Paddock Wood Reserves.Two goals each from Tom Wenham and Rob Runciman were key, Tim Farwell added the fifth while goalie Sam Collard kept the clean sheet.

In the only other game, St John's Yard recovered from a poor run of form to beat Speldhurst Rangers 5-1 at the Hilbert. Their leading scorer Dan Hunter scored twice, Jim London, Dan Reeve and Rory Wilson the others. For Rangers, Sam Stevens scored.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 4th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Bricklayers Arms 9 7 0 2 32 14 18 21
2 Crowborough Town 10 7 0 3 33 19 14 21
3 Tonbridge Invicta 9 6 0 3 30 13 17 18
4 Green St Blues 7 4 1 2 21 11 10 13
5 St John's Yard 10 4 1 5 24 38 -14 13
6 Paddock Wood Reserves 10 3 1 6 14 29 -15 10
7 Ticehurst Village 9 2 2 5 16 28 -12 8
8 Rusthall Club Athletic 5 2 1 2 16 13 3 7
9 Speldhurst Rangers 9 0 2 7 16 37 -21 2

Division Four

At last, at the tenth time of asking, Tonbridge Casuals finally picked up their first league win. In their local derby against Tonbridge United, James Mills, Hayden Jarvis and an own goal added up to a 3-0 win. Pete Krauhaus in goal recorded his second shut-out of the season.

FC Hayward may rue dropping two points against Tonbridge Origin Reserves. A win would have put them into second spot, but they had to settle for a 3-3 draw. Bobby Brown (2) and Arron Lindfield scored for the Origin. I do not have FC Hayward's scorers.

West Kent Sunday League Division Four including Sunday 4th December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 TW Foresters Reserves 9 8 0 1 44 17 27 24
2 Insulators Reserves 9 5 3 1 31 19 12 18
3 FC Hayward 8 5 1 2 28 14 14 16
4 AFC Six in One 10 4 2 4 51 34 17 14
5 FC Grinstead 7 3 2 2 23 20 3 11
6 Tonbridge Casuals 10 1 4 5 18 31 -13 7
7 Tonbridge Origin Reserves 7 1 3 3 19 26 -7 6
8 TW Youth (Ridgewaye) 9 2 0 7 20 53 -33 6
9 Tonbridge United 7 1 1 5 5 25 -20 4

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page