West Kent Sunday League News Report Sunday 3rd December 2017

There were plenty of goals as the Senior Cup group stage neared completion on Sunday. But who will qualify for the quarter-finals mostly remains to be seen!

WKSFL Senior Cup First Round - group stage

Group 1

Only one of the three scheduled games went ahead. Simla gained the three points they needed to stay in contention, with a home win against Brenchley.

The first match between these two teams for thirteen years resulted in an 8  -  0 win for Simla.

Simla scored within the first couple of minutes through Matt Newman. Further goals came in the first half from Matt Coleman (2) and Andrew Crush.
The second half continued with dominance from Simla. Brenchley pressed forward at times and never gave up, but still conceded a further 4 goals. The later scorers were David Blundell, another for Matt Coleman for his hat trick and then Joe Fuller and finally Matt Newman for his second.

Joe Cullip was the clean sheet keeper for Simla and became the third different Simla custodian to keep a clean sheet this season. They need two points from their final two games to finish above Insulators

Insulators were gifted the three points from their final game when Langton Green failed to field a team. The game between Artois United and Paddock Wood was postponed.

If Simla beat Langton Green next week by more than six goals, they will go ahead of Artois United. Paddock Wood hold the key here. They have to play both Artois United and Simla.

Group 2

Armada go through to the quarter-finals as group winners after their trip to Dormansland Rockets. They came back with a 4-1 win, Harry Tampsett scored twice, Ben Renshaw once. The other scorer is not known. Rockets are now out of the running. Their goal was scored by Ross Waghorn, the fifteenth different player to have scored for them this season.

Green Lane will go through in second place if Crowborough Town fail to beat Dormansland Rockets next week. The Lane stayed on course with a 3-1 win at Green Street Blues with Tom Welch, now the League's leading scorer, getting all the goals for the visitors with his fourth hat-trick in five games. Ash Birchruffel scored for the Blues.

Should Crowborough Town beat Dormansland Rockets next Sunday, they will be setting up their game with Green Lane on December 17th as a second place decider. A really good win for Town in either of their last two games could see them finish third on seven points, even if they lost the other one. The number crunching to determine the best two third placed teams will then take place.

Group 3

If you thought Group 2 was complicated, try this!  Other than Goudhurst United, any one of the teams can still qualify for the next round. Group of death stuff indeed!

Royal Oak tumbled the mix with a splendid 4-2 home win over First Division Pembury Sunday.  That left Pembury and Tonbridge Origin both on nine points, having finished their games. Royal Oak are the team in charge with two games to play. A win next week against Cassidy's Phoenix would propel them into third place and put Cassidy's out of the running. A win for Cassidy's on the other hand would put them top of the pile and end Royal Oak's chances. A draw would leave the door open for FC Grinstead in their last game.

The Oak came through their latest challenge with two goals from Ash Bell, one each from Callum Barclay and Nat Paine. For Pembury. Alun Evans was again on the scoresheet, this time with a penalty and the other was scored by Marc Wood.

At Goudhurst there was another result more akin to Rugby Football than Association Football. Tonbridge Origin finished their group campaign with an 8-4 win over United which featured hat-tricks by Myles Lowden and Rory Catt, plus two goals from Tom Cobb. United's Will Mantle maintained his goalscoring record with another, he is still top of the Division Two scorer's list. James Found scored twice for United, an own goal was atttributed for the fourth.

The final group game, on which everything could hang, is on December 17th between FC Grinstead and Royal Oak.

WKSFL Intermediate Cup

The final second round tie was decided at the Hilbert where St John's Yard of Division Three fell 5-3 to Division Two's Cassidy's Phoenix. Dan Hunter scored twice for the Yard, Sam Tanner once. The Cassidy's scorers were Ben Boodle (2), Rob Harman, Alex Cooper and an own goal.

The last eight of this competitition will therefore be, from Division Two, Cassidy's Phoenix, Crowborough Town, Brenchley, FC Grinstead,  Green Street Blues and Tonbridge Invicta while Division Three will be represented by Tonbridge Casuals and Tonbridge Origin Reserves. The draw is yet to be made.

WKSFL Junior Cup

Tonbridge Origin Reserves gained the point they needed to finish top of the group and gain a home tie in the semi-finals. They didn't have far to travel, Tonbridge United being the opponents being Tonbridge United. The outcome was a 2-2 draw. United's goals were scored by Ben Apps and Alex Underdown, Origin's by Jonny Barber and Bobby Brown.

The Junior Cup semi-final line-up will therefore be : Tonbridge Origin Reserves v TW Ridgewaye and St John's Yard v Speldhurst Rangers. Semi finals to be played over two legs.

Division One

There were no games in Division One.

Division Two

Another Rugby score at Tonbridge Farm, where FC Grinstead went home from their visit to Tonbridge Invicta with a 10-4 win under their belts in the day's only Division Two encounter. Invicta's last four games have seen an average of ten goals scored in each. Unfortunately for them, only once have they scored more than the other team. It was a short list of scorers for FC Grinstead, as their tally was made up with a four goal haul from Charly Harris, three from Freddie Webb and three more from Micky Neatherway. Invicta's scorers were Jack Parrott (2), Alexs Wellbelove and Tommy Welham.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 3rd December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Crowborough Town 6 5 0 1 39 12 27 15
2 Brenchley 7 4 1 2 14 13 1 13
3 Green Street Blues 5 3 1 1 19 8 11 10
4 Cassidy's Phoenix 7 2 2 3 16 20 -4 8
5 Langton Green 7 2 1 4 14 32 -18 7
6 FC Grinstead 4 2 0 2 23 7 16 6
7 Royal Oak 2 2 0 0 7 2 5 6
8 Tonbridge Invicta 5 1 1 3 14 35 -21 4
9 Goudhurst United 7 1 0 6 13 30 -17 3

Division Three

With St John's Yard on Intermediate Cup duty, Tonbridge Casuals would have gone top with a win at Speldhurst Rangers, but it was not to be. Rangers won 3-2 and the top of the table is now looking very interesting.

Five minutes into the game it was apparent that not requesting a week off after the Rangers Xmas Social was a bad idea . With players missing and all but three still sufffering,  Speldhurst were chasing their own shadows in the first half with Casuals strolling through their weary defence and attacking at will. It was only down to Man of the Match Liam Baldwin's fine goal keeping, including four  absolute worldies, that kept them in it.

Then something strange happened. Speldhurst's first completed pass found Jolyon Wheller whose diagonal run and early flick caught the Casuals 'keeper by surprise and he was only able to parry it into the corner of the goal.

All of the sudden a few players woke up, unfortunately not all as Casuals next attack wasn't cleared properly. The ball fell to Craig Parton at the back post to smash it into the roof of the net.

As the half was ending, much to the disbelief of the three hard-core locals supporting from the gate, an Andy Watts trademark scoop found Jolyon Wheller who expertly dinked the onrushing keeper to bring a surprised Speldhurst into half time with a 2-1 lead.

Casuals equalised early in the second half, again after Speldhurst were unable to clear their lines. Adam West, again at the back post, scored into an empty net.

From then on it was all Speldhurst. Multiple attacks were thwarted before a Joe Hearndon corner was deflected at the front post for an own goal. Despite more chances and a late push from Casuals, Speldhurst took all three points and a lesson for next year to get the weekend off for the Xmas Social.

Special shout out to Josh Fermor and his partner whose son arrived this week.

TW Ridgewaye put aside a run of three consecutive defeats to beat Insulators Reserves 4-1. Insulators had the perfect start when Jake Pingault added another goal to his excellent start to the season. Pingault is level on nne goals with several other players, just out of the frame for leading Division Three scorer. However that lead didn't last long as the home side scored twice in ten minutes.

Both sides had chances but at half time the score remained at 2-1.

In the second half it was Ridgeway who came out stronger and had a number of chances before adding a third goal. Insulators came into the game more and created their own chances, but the home side got another to seal the deserved win. Dan Thomas of Ridgewaye scored three, Adam Davies-Knight the other. A serious injury to an Insulators player just before the final whistle marred a sporting game.

Paddock Wood Reserves moved off the bottom with a 3-1 win against East Grinstead Mavericks. Billy Dunne, Phil Abbott and Jake Smith scored the important goals, John Jacobs repleid for Mavericks. Paddock Wood Reserves did of course 'lose' six points as a result of two games, which they won, being declared null and void. The games will be rescheduled, so all is not lost. They have played fewer games than most teams.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 3rd December
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 St John's Yard 7 5 1 1 40 18 22 16
2 Tonbridge Casuals 8 5 1 2 20 16 4 16
3 Speldhurst Rangers 6 4 1 1 20 13 7 13
4 TW Ridgewaye 6 3 2 1 17 11 6 11
5 Tonbridge Origin Reserves 5 2 1 2 15 11 4 7
6 Tonbridge United 4 1 0 3 9 14 -5 3
7 Paddock Wood Reserves 4 1 0 3 6 11 -5 3
8 Insulators Reserves 6 1 0 5 11 26 -15 3
9 East Grinstead Mavericks 6 1 0 5 7 25 -18 3

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page