West Kent Sunday League News Report Sunday 1st October 2017

The focus for this week and for the next two weeks is on Cup action. The three WKSFL cup compeitions will be getting under way, while the Kent Sunday Cups have already seen some action with more teams playing later in the month.

Division One

There was only the one League game on Sunday, when Simla took on early leaders Green Lane at Five Oak Green.  Green Lane started the match very confident after three wins already in the bag. They played some good football in the first half, scoring first through Richard Donaldson before Joe Fuller equalised. Green Lane deservedly scored again, this time the goal from Tom Welch to make it  2  -  1 after Simla had a player sent to the 'Sin Bin' for 10 minutes. That was the score at half time.

Green should have been feeling confident coming out for the second half, but Simla had other ideas after a stern half time chat. Simla got  two quick goals from Steve Smith, who later scored again for his hat trick. Now Simla were well in control for the second half not letting Green Lane have many chances to score again. Final score Simla 4  Green Lane 2. Simla are now top of the Division on goal difference and with a 100% record.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 1st October
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Simla 3 3 0 0 9 2 7 9
2 Green Lane 4 3 0 1 9 5 4 9
3 Pembury Sunday 4 2 1 1 10 9 1 7
4 Insulators 3 1 1 1 8 7 1 4
5 Tonbridge Origin 3 1 0 2 9 4 5 3
6 Artois United 2 1 0 1 4 3 1 3
7 Armada 2 1 0 1 2 3 -1 3
8 Dormansland Rockets 2 0 0 2 3 12 -9 0
9 Paddock Wood 3 0 0 3 3 12 -9 0

WKSFL Senior Cup

The Senior Cup first round is being played in groups to assure clubs of a decent number of matches through the season. It promises to be a competitive affair, with Division Two clubs pitching up against Division One sides more than once.

In Group 1, Artois United are the early leaders following a 5-1 drubbing of Insulators. Peter Shaw scored twice, Tim Maynard, Jake Fairweather and George Rogers the others. Insulators scorer was Tom Bridger.

The other game, between Brenchley and Paddock Wood stood at 2-2 before the match had to be abandoned following a serious injury. At the time of writing it is not known whether or not the score will stand or the game be replayed. Dan Connolly had scored both for Brenchley, Stefan Draper both for Paddock Wood.

There were goals galore in Group 2. Dormansland Rockets scored eight at home to Tonbridge Invicta, with Miguel Figueira Dunne leading the way with a hat-trick. Rich Wetton weighed in with two, also on the scoresheet were Scott Johnson, Dave Gellatly and Johnjo Mulcahy. In a final score of 8-3, Invicta's marksmen were Joe Lamb, Alex Evans and Alex Wellbelove.

Armada had an interesting clash with Green Street Blues of the lower division, a last gasp winner bringing them victory by 5 -4. Armada scored two goals within a minute midway through the first half, Vivian and Ben Renshaw were the men on target. This should have seen them control the game, but to their credit the visitors levelled before half time.

The comeback was completed in the second half as 'Blues' raced into a 4-2 lead. Their four goals had been shared two-apiece between Tom Wilken and Ash Birchruffel. But now  it was Armada's turn to show their character as Harry Tampsett quickly reduced the deficit, for his second Armada goal in as many games.  The same man then levelled the game with ten minutes remaining. The game looked like it was heading for a draw, but the last minute winner went the way of Armada.

There was another high scoring game in Group 3, where Division Two side Cassidy's Phoenix upset the form book with a 4-3 home win against Division One's Tonbridge Origin. Cassidy's goals were scored by Josh Ennis, Alberto Fernandez, Ben Boodle and Matt Ferris, while for the Origin they were Mike Jessop, Rory Catt and Tom Cobb. The other game also had Division Two at home to Division One, but this time order was maintained. However it was the narrowest of wins for Pembury Sunday at FC Grinstead, where goals from Charlie Johns and Matt Rice-Tucker assured vistory over their hosts, for whom Micky Neatherway again scored.

WKSFL Junior Cup

This competition is also being played in groups, two of them. In Group 1, Tonbridge Origin Reserves got off to a table-topping start with a 5-1 win at home over East Grinstead Mavericks. The five goals came from Duncan Ibbotson (2), Cameron Dunbar, Ben Holder and an un-named visting player putting through his own net. The visitor's consolation goal was scored by James Barnett.

Also starting off with a win in Group 1 were Speldhurst Rangers at home to Insulators Reserves.  On a skiddy  pitch both teams struggled for composure, however Speldhurst made the best of it with captain fantastic Mike Fenton opening the scoring with a looping header from the corner. This completes  seven days of milestones for the Speldhurst skipper who after last week completed his first win, clean sheet and goal for the club. He may have had sex the night before. (I didn't write that, sue Mr Crees if you wish!)

Josh Fermor, despite his questionable sobriety, lazily strolled forward to spank a pearler from 25 yards as Rangers went in at half time 2-0 up.

Fred Roberts was welcomed back for the season and proceeded to put Rangers 3-0 up with a quality finish, before Man of the Match Sam Stevens' great work down the wing was completed by James Hughes' clinical finish.  With more than 30 minutes remaining and four-nil down, it looked bleak for Insulators This looked like being a heavy defeat.

However, with the introduction of two substitutes Insulators rallied and began to exert some pressure of their own. Firstly Glen Gostlow scored with a fine shot and then Jake Pingault scored from close range following a good ball in from James Philpott. Other chances came and went, as they did for Speldhurst,but the game ended for a deserved 4-2 home win.

Group 2 also saw four teams in action. Tonbridge Casuals maintained their 100% start to the season with a 5-0 win at Paddock Wood Reserves. Matt Donnelly's hat-trick led the way, Harry Bamblett scored twice and Pete Krauhaus kept the clean sheet.

Eleven goals were shared at Skinner's where TW Ridgewaye, despite a hat-trick from the Division's joint leading scorer Ben Adams, the home side were deluged by an eight goal flood at the hands of St John's Yard. Yard had gone into an early lead and it was 3-1 at half time before the flodgates opened. Final tally for the Yard was two each for James Scott and Lewis Stack, plus single strikes from Reece Horseman, Mush Miah, Sam Tanner and Rory Wilson.

Kent Sunday Junior Trophy

Tonbridge United put up a good fight against New Ash Green Reserves of the North Kent Sunday League.  Against their unknown opponents, they went down 3-5 at Tonbridge Farm. Dean Larter scored two, Alex Underdown the other.

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page